Packard works (Leonard Williams Ltd), Great West Road, Brentford – 1931 – Wallis, Gilbert and Partners
This site is where they assembled and serviced the Canadian Packard cars. In March 1945 a V2 rocket destroyed the factory and all the remains are the original steps to the showroom. The bomb left 32 dead and 102 seriously injured, which makes the sad loss of the building seem a bit insignificant by comparison.
It is now site to a remarkably dull Curry’s retail centre – rather ironic, as it is just along the road from the impressive former Curry’s HQ (see previous post).